Most American airlines allow a certain number of bags to fly free when on military orders. Ask the airline about the number and weight limits of bags you are allowed to take.
- Your orders may also state that you can be reimbursed for a certain number of bags if you exceed the airline’s amount of free bags. You would have to pay out of pocket for the excess luggage and get reimbursed by finance once you arrive.
- Be sure to include a luggage tag or a piece of paper with your name, e-mail address, departure location, and destination.
As you begin sorting through your household goods, start adding items to your suitcases and carry on luggage.
Carry On Luggage
- Important documents
- Valuables such as electronics or jewelry
- Prescription medications
- Spare lithium batteries are allowed as carry-on only
- Entertainment – books, Ipods, puzzle books
- Bath: bath towels, toiletries
- Over the counter medications: pain relievers, allergy medication, sleep aid, cough drops, antacids
- Clothes: dress in layers, have a set of clothes for each family member in each bag just in case a bag gets lost
- Pet supplies – leash, food/water bowls, small bag of dog food, medications, nail clippers
- Shower curtain and hooks
- Bedding: travel pillow
- Office/Tools: scissors, paper, pens, pencils, tape measure
- Kitchen: wine bottle opener, kitchen towel